Do you have a fear of dentist appointments? Does the sound of a drill raise your blood pressure? You aren’t the only one. Dental anxiety is a very common problem, which causes countless people to postpone or avoid oral care. Patients in or near Allen, TX have a better option, a way to achieve healthy smiles without the stress. It is called sedation dentistry, and it is available right here at Allen Dental Studio.
Who benefits from dental sedation?
Modern techniques and improved local anesthesia make pain free dentistry possible in most circumstances. However, for many people the fear of pain persists. Sedative medications can help you feel more relaxed and less concerned, but that is not the only benefit. It is also a great option if you:
- Have a strong gag reflex
- Feel claustrophobic during dental care
- Need complex treatment or want to have multiple procedures in one appointment
- Hate needles and cringe at the idea of numbing injections
- Have extremely sensitive teeth
- Are resistant to numbing medications
- Have muscle or joint conditions that make it difficult to sit for extended times
- Simply don’t want to feel stressed out over your appointment
Whatever the reason, if you need a little help – or a lot of help – relaxing during your appointment, we have an excellent solution. We offer three different types of sedation, ranging from mild to moderate-deep.
- Nitrous oxide – This is the mildest and most common type of dental sedation. It creates a carefree, slightly euphoric feeling that has earned it the nickname “laughing gas.” Nitrous is delivered via a mask, and it is neutralized with oxygen when the appointment ends. You will be clear-headed and free to drive yourself home when you leave our office.
- Oral conscious sedation – This mid-level sedation is stronger than nitrous, but you will remain conscious and aware. We will provide you with a prescription, which is generally taken before coming to our office. As it gradually takes effect it also helps quell pre-treatment anxiety. It takes time to wear off after treatment. You will be unable to drive, and therefore need transportation to the office and back home.
- IV sedation – This is the strongest type of sedation we offer. It is not general anesthesia, but you will likely feel very groggy and may lightly doze at times. The dosage can be adjusted during treatment to accommodate your level of comfort. It wears off slowly, so you will need someone to drive you home.
Yes, you can relax, even during complex treatments. It’s not just a dream, it can be reality when you visit Allen Dental Studio. Call us at (469) 293-2007 to schedule.